I have friends in town to try out L.A., & it made me think -
What are the best reasons to love L.A. on a daily basis?
1. Cafe Intelligensia & LaMill for specialty lattes, music, and all-around laid back artsy vibe. The grown ups have started to gather though, but the invasion was bound to happen. Both are surrounded by hipster-owned stores with eccentric, cool stuff to peruse. Both are near the Silverlake Reservoir track and dog run.
2. Griffith Park for hiking near the Hollywood sign, Silverlake Reservoir for walking. Both have intermittent shade, dogs, and tidy restrooms. Escape the sound of car doors slamming and helicopters dipping too low. Take sunblock and water. If you squint you can see the Hollywood sign in this photo of Griffith. Park at Trails Cafe and either walk up or continue to drive up to Griffith and then start walking the endless looping paths near the sign.
3. Archlight Cinema. See movies in style and with a latte. A cinephile introduces each one and you get to pick out your very own assigned seat when you buy a ticket!
4. Square One Cafe for their farm fresh salads and breakfasts. Go while it’s still our secret, kind of. Intellegentsia lattes served; the french toast with warm apple topping is stellar. If you’re gluten-free, ask for the topping as a side.
5. Larchmont Village: Sweet little main street with shops and coffee houses, massage and hair salons, and three cool places to eat: Cafe Gratitude, Lemonade, and The Bungalow. All laid back and farm fresh & with gluten free options. Grattitude offers raw vegan.
6. Stellar thrift shops, flea markets, and Farmer’s Markets. check out Daily Candy for a great list of markets. I also recommend the As-Is Section of Ikea in Burbank – already assembled and 30-50% off. Also check out this kitschy salon & apothecary: Le Pink.
10. The Studios!
And this one is just a bonus:
Bad weather moves out fast. Storm approaching? You can literally wait it out wherever you are for twenty minutes, and the sun will come out. Like this:
What do you love about where you live?